Friday, November 12, 2010

Oskar scares Johanna

Oskar gave me a big scare this morning.  After asking to go out in the middle of the night (he is pretty good about going and then coming back in, not playing around), he did not want to get up when it was time to start the day.

Finally I went into my room where he lay on the rug next to the bed with his legs looking uncomfortably arranged kind of leap-frog-like.

"Hey, Bug, it's time to check on the chickens!"  He made as if to get up, but couldn't get his legs under himself.  With some effort I lifted from his belly and held him until he got his balance.  He trotted a little clumsily to the back yard door, looking down the three steps as if to say "can I do that?"  Then he burst out, tripping a bit.

I walked to the barn with Ulani on my heels.  After turning on the hens' light and feeding them, I came out of the barn expecting to see two dogs.  Instead I noted that Oskar was about 20 feet from the house, once again down in a Sphinx position.  When I got to the house I said "time for dog breakfast!" in my cheeriest voice, but Oskar did not get up.

Oskar has never refused a meal.  Not in 12 years.

I brought Ulani inside and prepared their bowls.  She got hers in the house, and I took Oskar's red bowl outside.  But when I put it next to him, he turned his head away.

"Oskar," sez I.  "I see that you don't feel well.  What's wrong, Bug?"  He did not reply.  I tried to think it was ok, despite the similarities to when Oskar's predecessor Buster's spleen burst.  I planned to call the vet at 8 am when they open.  Then I called the vet's cell phone instead.  And then I broke into sobs.  "Oskar's very sick."  Dr. Mike said to bring him straight over.

Getting my boy into the car took great effort.  He had trouble getting his front legs up, when I tried to lift them I made a big muck up of it and he ended up sprawled on the driveway.  Finally he rallied and we got him in.  The drive was tense.

Tammy at the vet seemed shocked to see us under these circumstances.  These circumstances being that she'd heard we were coming, and I arrived red eyed and snotty nosed.  We were quickly put into a room and not long after that the doctor joined us.

After a full hands-on exam, he could find nothing obviously wrong.  I left Oskar in their care for blood tests and urinalysis.

Then early this afternoon I spoke to the doctor.  Oskar's had dilute urine and a high white blood cell count, pointing to a kidney infection.  Very treatable.  I picked him up at 3:00 and he seems cheerier already.  Ate his supper and is enjoying some fresh air in the yard.

He wasn't ready to leave me.  Thank doG!


Rose H (UK) said...

I'm so pleased for you both that Oskars condition is very treatable. I read your post with much glad it's a happy ending :o)
Hugs and pats!
Rose H

MaryEllen Schneider said...

OMG, so scary, Johanna. Hugs to you and Oskar.

Roberta said...

It's so good to hear that it was something treatable. I'm sorry to hear about the stress/anxiety it caused you. Hope he's fully recovered soon.

Trish said...

Oh wow - what a scare! When God makes dogs the next time he needs to teach them to talk. I'm glad it was minor and he's back on his feet.

The JR said...

I'm so relieved he's better Johanna! Give him a hug and kiss from me.